The History of Allen & Son
Allen & Son has been dedicated to helping families for over 90 years. William Allen (known as Bill) began his funeral career working for Mr Gray, eventually taking over the business in 1928, which was originally based in Harvey House on the High Street. Apparently Daisy May, Bill’s wife used to have to vacate her kitchen when a coffin had to be made up - usually on the kitchen table!
The business stayed at Harvey House for a couple of years before relocating to Bank View, further along the High Street, in 1930.
Bill’s son, Jim, joined his father in the firm in 1945 after spending 18 months helping with boat building in Looe, Cornwall, eventually taking the helm when Bill had a stroke in 1961, and sadly died in 1963.
Jim’s son, Peter, left school with designs to be a draughtsman, with a particular interest in aircraft instruments. Before leaving to return to the family business, Peter was involved in the design team responsible for creating the “automatic pilot system” now used in all aircrafts. Knowing his father needed help in the growing business, Peter left his apprenticeship and returned to Moreton to help out, soon realising that this was his “calling”.
Peter took over the business when Jim died in 1981 and remained at Bank View until his retirement in 2014.
After some 50 years of involvement in the family business, Peter invited a much respected and experienced Funeral Director, Christopher Sole of A.L. Sole & Son in Chipping Norton, to take the company forward, remaining on hand to provide invaluable support to Allen’s new era. Sadly, early on in 2020 Christopher suddenly passed away, but not before securing new, larger premises for the growing business at Matcon House in London Road.